Rhonda is a passionate collector and one of her favourite collections is historic fans, many from the 1700's.
Rhonda's fan display presented caused much interest as we found out that fans were used for much more than cooling. They were used for conversations, sometimes very provocatively - eg. held to the right side of the head in a certain manner could mean that the person was free and interested in cavorting. Many different sorts of fans were explained and demonstrated - paddle, feather, etc. A variety of materials were used to make them including ivory, wood, bone, mother of pearl, leather and feathers. Many were hand painted with landscapes, biblical and historical scenes. Some were decorated with a different picture on each side. Extensive fine and detailed carving was done to the ivory, bone, mother of pearl and wood.
Rhonda is interested in joining our Collectors Group in the future when she can find the time.
U3A do our banking with GMCU and with the closing of Westpac Bank, Jenni Cogger, the GMCU branch Manager was keen to let members know about it and what they provide.
Below are some of the items that Jenni talked about:
Goulburn Murray Credit Union (GMCU) is different to a bank as it has no external shareholders; profits made by GMCU go back into providing convenient and accessible products, services and support to our community.
“We offer high quality, professional, old fashioned service supported by new technology.”
When you hold an account with GMCU:
· You speak with very experienced staff – Benalla Branch staff have over 60 years of banking experience between them
· Your funds are Government Guaranteed as part of the Australian Government’s Financial Claims Scheme
· You have the choice of Term Deposits, Savings and Transaction Accounts, Loans, Insurance and International products
· Your regular payments can be deposited directly into your account
· Call the branch direct or drop in – no call centres
· Your bills can be paid from your account at the counter
· Access your funds all over Australia as well as overseas
· If you want to learn some of the new technology – we can teach you. If you don’t we have a full range of products that support you as well.
· You help us to support your local community by sponsorship of clubs; events, free club accounts, as well as our staff working and volunteering in many positions in the community.
Open 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday. "GMCU is committed to staying and supporting your community. Come and see us to discuss your banking".
Our speaker for May will be Elise Wood, Centre Manager of Benalla Aquatic Centre. Elise will talk about the many activities that are available at the Centre, the benefits you can gain from participating and the costs applicable for the various types of memberships available.