The September writing topics were:
- She had just two choices. She could forget all about it and move on, or …
- I have a friend who says she is the only person in town who …
- They walked down the drive and across the road
As usual we enjoyed a varied range of stories and pictures created using words. Stories were a mixture of disturbing, slightly humorous and perhaps mystery. And, is often the case, some of the stories could lead to a sequel.
Our topic for discussion for the class was “emotion” – how can we show emotion rather than telling our readers. For example, “tears streaming down her face” could indicate sadness, or perhaps happiness or laughter, depending on the context, without actually telling the reader. A challenge for our next class is to include some “showing” of emotion rather than “telling” in our writing.
The topics for our September class are:
- “But why did William murder his brother?”
- She stood in the teeming rain, oblivious of the water soaking through her thin nightie
- She opened the envelope uncertain of what to expect
With a pathway out of lockdowns, we will hopefully meet up for our next class on 11 October.