The topics for our October class were:
- He pushed on, his head and shoulders bent against the unforgiving wind.
- She sat in silence waiting for the impending knock at the door.
- The tall figure emerged from the shadows.
As often, the stories are varied, but at the same time there are some common themes. There is an element of sadness or stress, even while using the different prompts. There is one that was pure fun, called “A Homonymous Tail”, where the idiosyncrasies of the English language are highlighted. Here the author has mixed up words having the same pronunciation but different spelling and meanings – and it started from beginning with the title using “Tail” in place of “Tale”.
Our next class is scheduled for 9 November. I have tried to provide prompts that are more open and can lead to stories of a happy or fun nature. The choices are:
- [We] walked slowly down to the edge of the trees.
- She turned an excited gaze upon me
- At eight [Edwina] brought [me] a cup of tea
We will continue to share our stories and feedback via email. If anyone else would like to write on any of these topics, please send them to me at email@example.com and I will forward to the class, and also share the stories from the class with you.