Photographs: Margaret Walshe
At the November meeting of Investment we looked at a newly published article by the ASX on Understanding Bonds. There was a good table in the article comparing bonds with Term Deposits and Shares. Bonds which include Government and Corporate bonds can be a complex topic. However, the article was quite informative about what is involved. Thanks to Les Rodgers who provided us with the website of a commercial company which deal in Corporate Bonds.
As the market had risen by 4% during October we also looked at some shares that had shown good increases in price during October. These had come from a variety of sources.
Barbara Buchanan provided us with an interesting article on algorithms being used for computer generated trading. This method of share selection is probably being used now by some Financial Institutions and its use will probably only increase in the future.
Members are reminded that we are having our final meeting for the year on Friday 1 December at 1.30pm in the U3A room at the Seniors.
About the Investment Group
This group includes U3A members who are interested in the share market and want to participate in discussion about investments. Whilst the share market is our primary focus, we often have a related broader investment topic as well at our monthly meeting.
1st Friday of the month
2 - 4 pm
U3A Meeting Room, Fawckner Drive
Convenor and Contact Details
Margaret Jenkins 5762 6944
Margaret's Blog (2015/6)
- Our U3A
- Groups A - Z
- Booker Reading Group (2019)
- Comparative Religion (2015-16)
- Google Apps & Tech Savvy Plus (2016-17)
- History - An Introduction to Western Civilization (2019)
- History - Moments in Australian History (2018)
- Investment I (1996 -2015)
- Legal Matters (Short Course)
- Making the Most of the Internet (2015) >
- Opera (2016 - 2019)
- 'Over There' (2017, 2018)
- Rail and Tourism (2015-2016)
- Tech Savvy Drop In (2016)
- Travel Group (2018)
- A - C
- D - O
P - Z
- Our Stories 2019
- 2019 Program Guide - Semester 2