First, it was wonderful to welcome Heather back to the group and looking so wonderfully healthy.
This month discussions were as varied, interesting, and mind stretching as ever. In hindsight, the theme that developed could be described as "strategies for difficult conversations" with topics including:
- Keeping your energy during difficult discussions in the work/volunteer space, and/or with friends and family. Renowned Social Worker Tony Morrison (1954 - 2010) developed an interview model for Social Workers (see link below). The model is circular, has five distinct phases, and encourages the person with the problem to design and implement solutions to their problem. Though the language of the model reflects a professional setting, I found that it can be adjusted for everyday settings. Its effectiveness is two-fold. First the listener is efficient in their role, and second, the person with the "problem" is guided to express that problem and to take responsibility for their solution. The model has been adapted from Tony Morrison’s – “Supervision in Social Care” (3rd edition, Pavilion, 2005), “From Strength to Strength: A guide to facilitating the Development of Supervisees” (Pavilion 2005) v.19_11_2019
- Australian Referendum - the process, and "Yes" and "No" information. The referendum can be the subject of much confusion, so we focused our discussions on the processes, the role of the constitution, key players, and resources that will assist put the topic into a framework. Handy places to go for this information include:
- The Weary Dunlop Learning Centre - Benalla Library has booklets and flyers
- "What is the IndigenousVoice to Parliament? Here's how it would work and who's for and against it."https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-15/what-is-the-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-referendum-australia/102317242?fbclid=IwAR3-g5CpE3k3HRnO8Bq8ioSu0DZOLb4jfClQOxlDMm_bDRnO2OQnUXK4N-0
- Boost your understanding of Referendums: address misconceptions & increasing awareness. Stay informed on Referendums. Explore AEC's site for resources and updates. https://www.aec.gov.au/referendums/
See you at our next meeting: Thursday 17 August 2023 2:00 - 3:45pm at Ruby Blue Cafe - Nunn Street. Bring a topic to get the ball rolling .. and let's again enjoy what arises.