Ever the thinker, Mary Bridgland pondered on “coping styles”, especially the “How” of the development of our preferred coping styles, resulting in a wonderful presentation by Mary and discussions on the “Influences on Coping Style”. Mary began with this curiously ambiguous picture. What do you see? https://www.illusionsindex.org/i/young-woman-or-old-woman
Mary continued to describe the dual impacts of our sense of self and well-being and external influences on our preferred coping styles. Go to Mary’s Powerpoint below for more “How”.
Topics covered in March and April will include:
- Types of abuse in families.
- Patterns of control.
- Perpetrator psychology.
- Perpetrator presentation.
- Cycle of abuse.
- What to do when you suspect abuse.
To begin, we did an activity I hope you will also do. On your phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop -
- Type 1800RESPECT into your search bar.
- Choose https://www.1800respect.org.au/
- Scroll down to “Supporting someone”.
- Scroll back to the top of the page.
- Click on the word EXIT on the upper right of the page. What just happened? This is a quick safety option now used on many FV support websites.
- Check your browsing history. Did this site show up?
- Finally, click the left return arrow found next to your web address bar. What happened?
Thank you for participating and for “not looking away”.
- Discussion Group (face to face) at Cooinda 10-12 noon on Tuesday 6 April (third Tuesday of the month).
- Content Group (face to face) at Benalla Seniors Building 1-3pm Friday 16 April (third Friday of the month)
National sexual assault, domestic family violence COUNSELLING service.
- NRS: 1800 555 677
- Interpreter 13 14 50
- Online chat